stone lion building ornament

sold out

stone lion building ornament



AA# 47962

These stone lion heads originally adorned the cornice of the Boatmen’s Bank Building in St. Louis, Missouri. The building was completed in 1914 by the architecture partnership of Eames and Young, one of the city’s most talented and influential early 20th century firms. The structure, which was later renamed the Marquette Building, was put on the National Register for Historic Places in 1998. The cornice had already been removed in 1957 for reasons of public safety.

The lion heads are adorned with large anthemions, and the faces themselves feature flowing manes, arched eyebrows, and snarling mouths. They are all in good condition with varying spots of wear. See additional photos for details. Four available; sold separately.

Circa: 1914
Condition: Good
Finish: Original
Country of origin: USA

Dimensions: 26" tall x 11" wide x 17“ deep

$99.99 shipping within the continental United States. International shipping also available. Please contact us for a quote. 

Add To Cart

Make an Offer →

Architectural Antiques will consider reasonable offers. 

Be sure to include the Product ID (AA#) when making your offer.